Details for: GOSLING, Robert
||Mitre & Crown, ag St Dunstan's Ch, in Fleet St. At the Middle Temple Gate. In Temple Lane
||1707 - 1741
||1684 (date of birth) - 1741 (date of death)
||StatCo. Born Whitefriars in Canterbury. Published in partnership with Elizabeth Nutt (1717) and John Walthoe (c1717). Father of Francis (later Sir) Gosling who carried on his father's business until 1743. Involved in the 'Universal History'.
- Tyacke, Sarah, London Map-sellers 1660-1720 (Tring, 1978)
- Plomer, Henry R. et al, A Dictionary of the Printers and Booksellers who were at work in England, Scotland and Ireland from 1668 to 1725 (London, 1922)
- Plomer, Henry R. et al, A Dictionary of the Printers and Booksellers who were at work in England, Scotland and Ireland from 1726 to 1775 (London, 1932)
- Melton, Frank, 'Robert and Sir Francis Gosling: Eighteenth Century Bankers and Stationers', in Economics of the British Booktrade 1605-1939, eds. Myers, Robin & Harris, Michael (Cambridge, 1985). pp60-77.
- Abbattista, Guido, 'The Business of Paternoster Row: Towards a Publishing History of the 'Universal History' (1736-65)', in Publishing History XVII (1985) pp.5-50
A list of abbreviations used in the Notes field can be found here